While increasing the size of their breasts is an aim for some patients, for others reducing breast size is their goal. Breasts that are too large can lead to:
- Chronic back, neck and shoulder pain that requires pain medications
- Chronic rash or skin irritation under the breasts
- Nerve pain
- Restricted activity
- Poor self-image related to large breasts
- Difficulty fitting into bras and clothing
At LIPS Clinic our Board Accredited Plastic Surgeons can help you achieve the size of breast that is right for you with Breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a procedure used to remove excess fat, tissue and skin from the breasts. If you have large breasts, you might choose to have breast reduction surgery to ease discomfort or to achieve a breast size proportionate to your body. Breast reduction surgery might also help improve your self-image and your ability to participate in physical activities.
Breast reduction surgery generally isn’t recommended if you:
- Have certain conditions such as diabetes or heart problems
- Are very obese
- Want to avoid scars on your breasts
You can have breast reduction surgery at any age — sometimes even as a teenager. But if your breasts aren’t yet fully developed, you might need a second surgery later in life.
You might postpone breast reduction surgery if you have certain future plans, such as:
- Childbirth. If you haven’t started a family or your family isn’t yet complete, you might wait until pregnancy isn’t an issue. Breast-feeding might be challenging after breast reduction surgery — although certain surgical techniques can help preserve your ability to breast-feed.
- Weight loss. If you are interested in losing weight by changing your diet and starting an exercise program, you might wait to decide if reduction mammoplasty is for you. Losing weight can often result in changes to your breast size.
Call LIPS Clinic to see how our Board Certified Plastic Surgeons can help you reduce the size of your breasts to get the body you deserve!